SuperCROSS comes supplied with a number of user interface language options. Users can change the user interface language by choosing an option from the File > Language menu.
If none of the supplied languages are suitable for your users, you can add new languages.
To add a new language:
- Go to the SuperCROSS language directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\STR\SuperCROSS\language if you installed to the default location).
- Make a copy of the template file, Test_en-AU.txt and rename it to match your new language. You are recommended to use the language codes in the filename (like the sample files), although this is not a strict requirement.
- Replace the text strings in the file with the translations for the new language.
- The file contains three columns, separated by tabs. The first two columns contain the internal codes used by SuperCROSS (do not change these), while the third column contains the text that needs to be translated. In the template file, the text that needs to be translated is in English.
In the template file, the text strings that need to be translated start with a $ symbol; this is used to indicate that the string has not yet been translated. Remove the $ symbol when you replace the English text with its translation.
At the top of the file, there is a line that defines the
LOCALE_NAME. This is the language code for this language; it must be set to the two character ISO 639-1 language code and the two character ISO 3166 country code, separated by a hyphen.
- At the end of the file, there is a line that defines the
LS_LANGUAGE_NAME. This must be set to the translated name of the language. SuperCROSS will display this in the File > Language menu.
- If you need to include line breaks in your translations, use
- Make sure that you do not change the file encoding when editing the language file; it should be encoded in UTF-8 without a Byte Order Mark (BOM).
- When you have finished adding your translations, save your changes.
- Open supermodule.ini in a text editor. If you installed to the default location, this file is located in C:\ProgramData\STR\SuperCROSS
[Language]section and add your new language to the list, using the following format:
The English display name will be displayed in the File > Language menu, in brackets after the translated name of the language (which comes from the text defined for the
LS_LANGUAGE_NAMEcode in the language text file).
For example, to add translations for Japanese, you might update the
[Language]section as follows:
- Save your changes, and restart SuperCROSS to verify your new language translations.